A hot tub is an ideal place where you can soak and relax after a stressful day of work. However, if you are planning to have one installed in your house, remember to question yourself “How much does a hot tub weigh?” to make sure that the hot tub is not too heavy and breaks your floor.
This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links / provide (at no extra cost to you). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclaimer for additional details.
Why Hot Tub’s Weight Matters?
Well, of course, it should matter because hot tubs are generally heavy and you might want to know whether their weight will cause any trouble to your floor when it is installed or not. In this situation, you will need to know the answer to “How much does a hot tub weigh with water?”
Or perhaps you are considering moving an empty hot tub to another place in your house, or you are moving and want to take your old hot tub with you to the new place. In this circumstance, knowing your hot tub’s weight without water is essential.
Okay, now we will go through a hot tub’s weight with and without water.
How Much Does A Hot Tub Weigh Without Water?
Despite their variety in sizes and shapes, we can have an estimated idea of the weight of hot tubs.
- A small hot tub that can fit 2 to 3 people can weigh about 500 pounds when it does not contain anything. With this weight, it is rather easy to be moved around in your house.
- For a medium one that 4 to 5 people can sit in there, it can weigh approximately 750 pounds with no water.
- A large hot tub that can contain 6 to 7 people at once, its weight without any water is 900 pounds averagely. With this weight, you are going to need some major assistance to move it around.
Of course, these numbers are just a very rough estimate and they can vary between different models. If you want some more specific numbers, then you might want to know this:
- A 5×7 feet hot tub that can contain 150 gallons of water can weigh around 300 pounds without any water. Its size is one of the smallest sizes on the market.
- A 7×7 feet hot tub could weigh about 855 pounds with no water inside.
- Other sizes can fall between the above numbers, and there are also larger tubs with weights exceeding 1,000 pounds on the market.
How Much Does A Hot Tub Weigh With Water?
To calculate a hot tub’s weight with water inside, you will need to have 3 information: its empty weights, its water capacity, and that one gallon of water has an estimated weight of about 8.34 pounds.
- A small hot tub can weigh up to 3,000 pounds when it contains water and 2 or 3 people inside.
- For a medium one, it can weigh approximately 4,400 pounds with water and 4 or 5 people inside.
- A large hot tub that can contain 6 to 7 people at once, its weight with water and people sitting inside is 5,500 pounds averagely. This can be compared to the weight of a small African elephant.
Again, please remember that these numbers are rather approximated and they can be smaller or bigger depending on the weight of the people who sit inside the hot tub. If you want to measure the exact weight of a hot tub, then please keep reading.
How To Know The Exact Weight Of Your Hot Tub?
Usually, when you have decided which hot tub to buy, the shop assistant can help you calculate the exact weight of the hot tub. There are 3 ways to do this.
- The manufacturer’s manual included when you buy the hot tub or can be download on your smartphone or computer will surely have the exact weight and other specifications of the tub.
- There will also be occupancy and weight specifications noted near the pump of the hot tub.
- Or, you can do the math yourself. As we mentioned above, a gallon of water has an estimated weight of 8.34 pounds. A person’s average weight is 194.7 pounds. Therefore, the tub’s maximum weight will be the total of the tub’s weight without water plus the water’s weight plus the maximum amount of people’s weight.
So, Where Should You Place Your Heavy Hot Tub?
Well, this depends on whether you have a house or you are living in an apartment.
For people who have their own houses, a lot of them decide to put the hot tub in the back yard. However, if you are thinking of putting your hot tub in the front or back yard, question yourself whether you will use it during winter or not. You will not want to rush into your house after soaking in the cold weather.
If that is the case, the best option is your deck. It should be capable of holding 90 pounds on one square foot. Older decks can use some reinforcement with a few 4-bys and extra stringers.
If you are living in an apartment, you should not place it on the balcony regarding potential leaks which can damage the building. You should hire a trusty structural engineer to do the work for you.
However, if you really want to put the hot tub outside on the balcony with an amazing view of the city, there are still some solutions. But first and foremost, your balcony has to be made from reinforced concrete with steel L beams inside.
It is rather complicated to tell what is inside the concrete without expensive testing. Therefore, you should find out the time when they built your balcony and look up the constructive requirement at that time.
Maybe that will bring you some ideas because older structures cannot keep up with modern standards.
How much a hot tub weighs depends on its size, capacity, and whether there is water inside the tub or not. A hot tub’s maximum weight without water can range from 500 to 900 pounds, while its weight with water and people soaked in can contain ranges from 3,000 to 5,500 pounds.